"A portrait is not an identificative paper but rather the curve of an emotion" -James Joyce

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Starting Point






After painting 15 years, it feels right to call this work that I brought to my first residency a starting point.  I was apprehensive bringing it because it was so different from the work with which I applied.    The work also wasn't completely finished, but because the finish of the work was my primary concern, I brought it anyway.  I have never thought of myself as a figure painter or a genre painter as Tony called it, but I have learned over the years that I need to paint what gets me to the easel.  The words of my colleagues were extremely helpful.  Even the words that were hard to hear.  I plan on working on many of these a bit more when I return home, but I have always liked having many paintings going, all in different stages.  This aspect of drying time is something I really enjoy about oil painting, they are alive, and I live with them.



















No comments:

Post a Comment