"A portrait is not an identificative paper but rather the curve of an emotion" -James Joyce

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Raw Beginning

This is a moment I like.  I have a personal policy not to leave the canvas until everything there is something I like, if that means scrubbing out ninety percent of what was done, than so be it.  Once the canvas is stained by a drawing and dry, I can beat it with a hose and it is hard to get rid of the work.  This is most true when working in thin layers such as I prefer.  It helps me reveal the moments that combined create the final product.  These are moments in my life as much as those in the life of my subject.  This is how I walked away from the canvas yesterday morning, and now a day of drying while I look at my other canvas is in order.  I usually work on pairs simultaneously for this reason.  I like to work most of the painting out in raw umber before any or little color is added. That is a bug on her head. The biggest difference so far in working with the oil primer is that it is a little wet, and scumbling takes on a muddled quality, while brushwork is slightly more fluid.  I am enjoying how it makes the drawing a tad closer to the viewer as opposed to behind the canvas.  Overall the work looks more dense, and more worked on, even though it isn't, and this has been in line with my intentions.  So far I am really enjoying this subtle change in materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment