"A portrait is not an identificative paper but rather the curve of an emotion" -James Joyce

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Raw Material

Over the past ten years that I have come to Japan, I have slowly built quite a comprehensive painting kit by bringing more materials on every trip.  My family with whom I stay is kind enough to afford me a shelf to store things among their farming equipment.  We share a love of tools and tradition.  Art materials are close to impossible to find here in this remote location, yet the idea of traveling abroad to paint like Beckmann in America, or any number of Americans in France, really forces me to contemplate how artists and especially painters have adapted to their own personal frontier.  This year I had a gallon of gesso delivered from Tokyo, and somehow I was able to smuggle a huge and heavy can of oil primer, a large bottle of Liquin, and some other items on the plane.  Before I leave to go back home, it has become tradition to do an all out inventory of supplies in preparation for next years visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment