"A portrait is not an identificative paper but rather the curve of an emotion" -James Joyce

Monday, November 5, 2012

Looking Ahead

























     These are the six paintings minus one that is being exhibited that I am currently working on, and they are in varied states of completion.  The two in orange are a diptych with the old man on the left and are a little more than 5 feet tall.  The paintings of the woman and the man at tables have been re-stretched, then cut down and re-stretched again.  I have done this a lot, I just decide the painting has become about one thing not two, or one person.  I left the remnants of the other person in both paintings and I like the way it looks as a partial telling of a story.  The painting in the top right was from a background of a painting brought back from Japan where I cut both foreground characters out and it went from a painting that was 4 by 5 feet to one that is 2 x 3.  The top left painting is from a series that I am picking up after a very long hiatus in a response to a recently proposed theme critique based on the word "when."  I gave up on the painting years go and decided to basically repaint it right on top, something I have never really done.  I am experimenting with tinted grounds, oil primer, linen, alternative mediums and sennelier paints that contain a safflower oil base.  I have 3 large canvases stretched and hope to do some landscape work as well as more situational narratives that continue to explore the theme of "the visit."

No comments:

Post a Comment