"A portrait is not an identificative paper but rather the curve of an emotion" -James Joyce

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Moving Pictures


     The first thing that I have to do now that residency two is over, is move a lot of work around.  Shuffle the deck chairs.  Many paintings that still need a brushmark here or a glaze there, even from the first residency, and I plan on getting to them.  Stacks of paintings now rotate between a couple places in the back of my studio and in the corner of my son's room.  I remember a great documentary on Alice Neel I recently saw where her sons recalled the stacks leaning all over the place, and how regular it was.  My studio is only 10 x 15 feet, and Brit Snyder is the only person who has been in it in the ten years since it has been built. I am spending some time taking notes on my own work, doing inventory of my paintings and painting materials, and estimating what I may need for my next wave of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment